Buildings and Maintenance Manager
(posted April 4, 2019)
This position is directly
accountable to the President of the institution for the maintenance of the
buildings, infrastructure and grounds of Thorneloe University and has the
responsibility of ensuring that the facilities are safe, secure, operational
and clean. Thorneloe covers approximately 3500 square meters on 4.5 hectares of
land (37400 sq. feet on 11.11 acres). The buildings include a 58-room
residence, academic classrooms, administrative offices, 184-seat theatre, a
chapel and storage shed.
Salary is commensurate with
skill and experience in the range of $39K – $49K with benefits. Hours of work
are 0800h to 1500h (a half hour for lunch included), Monday to Friday. On-call
evenings and weekends as required. A driver’s abstract and a criminal records
check will be required.
send Letter of Application and Résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition closes: Monday, April 22, 2019, 11:59 PM (EDT)
- Basic knowledge of electrical, plumbing and carpentry repairs.
- Understanding and operation of HVAC and closed-loop boiler systems.
- Qualified to work at heights, in confined spaces and to work alone.
- Must have phase 3 of PSHSA.
- Must have a proficiency in the codes for fire, electrical, plumbing, TSSA and building.
- Analytical assessment and innovative problem-solving abilities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Supervision of student labour.
- Supervision of contract cleaners.
- Supervision of maintenance contractors.
- Participation in the JOHSC.
- Monthly inspection and documentation of all facilities as required by OHSA.
- Monthly inspections and documentation as required by the fire code.
- Co-ordinate and implement all annual inspections as required by provincial legislation of the facilities with respect to TSSA, ESA, OHSA, the Fire Marshal and Insurers.
- Liaise with Laurentian University’s department of Physical Plant.
- Attend meetings and participate on Laurentian University’s Emergency Response team.
- Submit annual projects and budget figures.
- Co-ordinate and collaborate with staff and faculty on major events.
- Prepare RFQs and tenders for contractual work.
- Preventive maintenance and repairs.
- Year-end room inspections of residence.
- Maintain inventory levels and order supplies.
- Parking control.
- Other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Thorneloe University is committed to employment equity and diversity in hiring and encourages applications from qualified Indigenous Canadians, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.